Re: PROV-ISSUE-432 (post-or-get): Is http get the correct form for the provenance service [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

From: Graham Klyne <gklyne@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:35:29 +0100
To: Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu>,Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Sorry, last reply should have been to Paul. Phone ui isn't the best for this kind of thing.

Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

PROV-ISSUE-432 (post-or-get): Is http get the correct form for the provenance service [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/432

Raised by: Paul Groth
On product: Accessing and Querying Provenance

According to REST principles one should not create side-effects when using GET. The question is does this apply to provenance-service.

Also, should POST be supported as well as GET in the provenance service.

To start: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/630453/put-vs-post-in-rest

GETs should never have side effects. GET is only used for access. POST is to perform an operation (I prefer them to be idempotent, as in SADI, but that's not a REST requirement). Updates and deletes should be handled via UPDATE and DELETE respectively. Our users will be far less confused if we keep these separate.

Using GET only for access and PUT'ting, UPDATE'ing, and DELETE'ing (with the option of auth, of course) against that URL is also much kinder to linked data.

Jim

--
Jim McCusker
Programmer Analyst