Re: Definition of role

From: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 11:30:00 +0300
To: Graham Klyne <graham.klyne@zoo.ox.ac.uk>, Simon Miles <simon.miles@kcl.ac.uk>
Cc: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Simon, Graham,

I'm wondering how to model something like an argument to an
application using this typing based approach. This is what we use
roles for all the time in other provenance models. To be concrete,

ex:prg1 a prov:Activity.
ex:prg1 prov:used ex:file1.

how do I define the ex:file1 is the first argument to prg1? Would I
define a new relation? e.g

ex:prg1 ex:firstArgument ex:file1.
ex:firstArgument rdfs:subPropertyOf prov:used.

thanks
Paul

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Graham Klyne <graham.klyne@zoo.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> I already provided one [1] ... I'm not sure I can do better.
>
> #g
> --
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-prov-wg/2012May/0447.html
>
> On 03/06/2012 17:46, Paul Groth wrote:
>> Hi Graham,
>>
>> Can you suggest an alternative english language definition? I know you
>> had wanted to proceed from a technical definition.... but I'm looking
>> for a mechansim to get consensus.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Paul

>>> -1
>>>
>>> I don't think the role necessarily relates to a distinguished component of the
>>> relation.  E.g consider delegation:  when agent A1 delegates role R to agent A2,
>>> the role R here is not specific to A1 or A2, but represents a transfer of
>>> responsibility between them.
>>>
>>> #g
>>> --

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam