Re: Definition of role

Following up, the related work on roles in this paper[1] is somewhat
helpful for thinking about this.

I wonder if we actually want to define roles as relations between an
instance of a relation and the entity.

This way we would have the relation prov:role and would make
subproperties of it to define new relations.

For example, instead of

wasAttributedTo(doc, bob, [ prov:oRole="editor", prov:sRole="bestPaper" ] ])

we would have

wasAttributedTo(id1; doc, bob)
role(id1, doc, [prov:type="bestPaper")
role(id1, bob, [prov:type="editor)

Anyway, just a thought...

Paul

[1] http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-614/owled2010_submission_29.pdf

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Trying to come to some route forward. If we can agree on the following
> English definition, then we can set about finding good relation names:
>
> A role is the function of an entity, activity, or agent in the context
> of a relation. The subject and object of relations may be given roles.
>
> Thanks
> Paul
>

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>> tracker,
>>
>> This is ISSUE-384

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam