Re: PROV-ISSUE-406 (delegation-direction): Direction of prov:Delegation is non-intuitive [Ontology]

Delegation is in all our definitions of responsibility. I would find
it weird to change it.

cheers
Paul

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu> wrote:
> Khalid,
>
> On Jul 5, 2012, at 5:12 AM, Khalid Belhajjame wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> On 4 July 2012 22:12, Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Stian,
>>
>> Would renaming "Delegation" to "Altruism" satisfy this directionality
>> concern?
>>
>> WG,
>>
>> (straw poll) Would anyone support renaming Delegation to Altruism?
>>
>> "behavior of an agent that benefits another at its own expense."
>

> I am not a native speaker, but I have the impression that Altruism suggets a
> strong "welfare of others",
>

> Yes, Altruism does have a degree of strength to it. It also has a degree of
> independence of situation; a universality, or intrinsic character of an
> individual.
> But, one could argue that the intrinsic quality of the agent is a result of
> observing may altruistic acts for others; this latter is what we'd be
> describing with PROV: an act of altruism.
> Further, the other two AgentInfluences (Association, Attribution) could
> easily have strengths, but we don't question those.
>
> I think it is better to have a "[slightly too] strongly named" concept than
> to offer a name that suggests the wrong directionality.
> The directionality we have is "acted on behalf of". Delegation goes in the
> opposite direction: "made to act".
>

> which is not necessary true in our case.
>

> I'd say to some non-zero extent, we are: "acted on behalf of" - regardless
> of motivation.
>

> In your example below, :tim may have had to do
>
> the job because :stian is :tim's boss, not because :tim cares about :stian
> :-)
>

> If we can question the motives of the actor in my proposed "altruism", we
> can equally ask about motives of the delegator as it is currently named,
> so I think motives should not play a factor in our decision of naming.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>

> khalid
>

>> e.g.
>>
>> :tim
>>    a prov:Agent;
>>    prov:actedOnBehalfOf :stian;
>>    prov:qualifiedAltruism [   # renamed from qualifiedDelegation
>>         a prov:Altruism;           # renamed from Delegation
>>         prov:agent :stian;
>>         :inspired_by <http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/406>;
>>    ];
>> .
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Tim
>>

>> On Jul 2, 2012, at 9:21 PM, Timothy Lebo wrote:
>>
>> > Unfortunately, due to time and lack of momentum,and no clear solution,
>> > we agreed to postpone this issue during the prov-o call.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Tim

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam