Re: complementOf -> viewOf: proposed text: however... :-)

Hi Jim,

On 14/01/2012 17:11, Jim McCusker wrote:
> I have to strongly object to specializationOf being a special case of
> alternativeOf.

I didn't understand how the example you gave below support the above
claim. Could you explain further the reason why you think
specializationOf should not be defined as a special case of alternateOf,
given the defintiion of both relations in prov-dm.

> We can discard transitivity of alternativeOf without making it
> primitive. The transitivity of specialization isn't a problem for a
> and b in your example. Let's say we have:
>
> alternativeOf(a, b) == exists (c) :
>     specializationOf(a,c) and
>     specializationOf(b,c)
>
> alternativeOf(a, d) == exists (e) :
>     specializationOf(a,e) and
>     specializationOf(d,e)
>
> specializationOf isn't a functional property.

I don't think anybody argued that specializationOf is functinal.

> It cannot be if it's transitive. c and e don't need to be the same
> entity in this case, allowing your lattice to hold.
And how does this tell us that specialization cannot be a special case
of alternateOf?

Thanks, khalid