Re: Collections in PROV-O

Hi Stian,

Thanks for giving this a try.

CollectionAfterInsertion(c2,c1,k1,v1)
CollectionAfterRemoval(c2,c1,k)

Basically, in the design you suggested you introduced relationships
between c2 and c1, but also between c2 and k1, between c2 and v1, (and
between c1 and k in the case of removal).

Here, I am wondering if an alternative design that capitalizes on the
notion of involvement that we introduced in the OWL ontology would be
better.

The idea is to have two binary object properties:
wasObtainedAfterInsertion and wasObtainedAfterRemoval (there may be
other better names) between the collections c1 and c2, and to specify
information about the key k1 and value v1 (or the key k in the case of
removal), using involvement.

For example, we can have two classes RemovalInCollection, and
InsertionInCollection, which can be defined as subclasses of
CollectionInvolvement, which in turn is a subclass of Involvement. And
this involvement classes will have object properties that point to the
key and values.

So now the question is why I think this design is better. If I am not
wrong, a binary property between two collections c1 and c2, can capture
all the information we need about insertion or removal. To illustrate
this, consider that we have:

wasObtainedAfterRemoval(c2,c1).

Given c1 and c2, we can deduce the entries of c1 that were removed to
obtain c2.

Similarly, if we have:

wasObtainedAfterInsertion(c2,c1)

Then we can deduce information about the pair of <key,value> that were
inserted in c1 to obtain c2.

In other words, binary properties would be enough to express all what we
want for insertion/removal in collections. And if we want to specify
explicitly the information that, we can infer otherwise, then we can use
involvement.

Please take the above proposal with a pinch of salt, as I may have got
it completely wrong :-)

khalid