Re: PROV-ISSUE-253: misc issues with the ontology [mapping prov-dm <-> prov-o]

Hi Tim

On 02/17/2012 03:04 PM, Timothy Lebo wrote:
> BTW, if would be helpful to include URLs to the section that is being
> discussed.

This was really an ontology issue and I didn't link to the ontology file.
Further comments below.

>>> Usage
>>> --- misses a property hadActivity
>>>

> prov:hadQualifiedUsage stands in place of hadActivity
>
> these two properties are owl:inverseOf, but we are not defining
> hadActivity.
> we are using hadQualifiedUsage to point from the Activity to the
> Involvement to maintain Activities and Entitites and principle instances.
>
> I added this note at http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Usage
>

>> I don't understand what you expect to change here.  There is no
>> hadActivity construct in either PROV-O or PROV-DM, so I can't just
>> change the mapping to include this.
>
> The only requirement DM provides is that we associate the two, which
> we have done.

Ultimately with the model, we support to views, relation oriented or
class oriented.
When you take the class oriented view, where you have a Usage class, you
want to be able to talk
about its activity (especially since this should be a functional property).

Prov-dm states that a usage has a constituent activity.
Why can't a property be defined as owl:inverseOf, as you suggested, in
the ontology?

>> There is a link from the activity to the usage labeled
>> hadQualifiedUsage.  The hadActivity link would be the inverse of that.
>
> +1
>
>> However, the edges here are meant to be consistent with the direction
>> "towards the past".
>
> In this case, it is to maintain the Activity as the "more principal"
> instance, which is done by making it the subject of the triple.
> I've jotted down some
> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Mapping_goals
>
>> So I don't think we want to replace hadQualifiedUsage with
>> hadActivity going in the reverse direction.
>>
>> proposal: Raise against PROV-O to discuss whether to introduce a
>> hadActivity property linking QualifiedInvolvements to Activities.
>
> If proposed, I say -1

I don't think the notion of 'principal' should be absolute. It depends
on what you are doing with the provenance,
and this is left to users.

>>> Bundle: not part of DM3?
>>
>> I don't understand what would address this issue.  There is a Bundle
>> section that contains some discussion of Account and RecordContainer.
>>  Since Account was put on the endangered species list at F2F2, my
>> impression was that they were not required to be handled in the first
>> draft of the mapping.
>
> Despite the "endangered species list", I put in a mapping for accounts
> with the expectation that "Account" would be renamed to "Bundle" (and
> with the hope that it would just be called "Provenance" because that
> is what it is...)
>
> @James, I need to add a fourth column of
> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Account but am fighting latex.
> Could you add the fourth column?
>
> "nil" in a new far left column, except for where "name" appears on the
> left.
>

> BTW, I added a prov:specializationOf triple and axiom to the mapping
> for accounts. sd:graph
>

>> Please be more specific about what aspects of bundles you think
>> aren't handled here and should be.
>>
>> Proposal: Defer until status of bundles/accounts/record containers is
>> stable.

>>> There is no time information associated with Entity in DM3
>>>

>> Correct, but I don't see what you think should change (in the
>> mapping, PROV-O, or PROV-DM).  The rule for entity() records does not
>> link the entity to a time.  It is possible to link any Thing to a
>> time, including an Entity, but so what?
>>
>> Proposal: No change.
>

> Agreed. What tidbit of what document leads to this question?

The ontology allows for time to be associated with entities.

>>> Association:
>>> hadQualifiedAssociation property missing
>
> missing from where?
>
> it's at http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Agent_Association
>
> I see it in "now" in    [  ] a prov:Entity; prov:specializationOf
> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/ontology/ProvenanceOntology.owl>
>
> :hadQualifiedAssociation
>     a owl:ObjectProperty ;
>     rdfs:domain :Activity ;
>     rdfs:range :Association .

It looks it was added, it's good.

>> I interpret this as an issue with Prov-O, which (if addressed by
>> adding such a property) should be reflected in the mapping.
>>
>> Proposal: Raise against PROV-O, and reflect any ensuing change in
>> mapping.

>>> Association:
>>> hadQualifiedEntity has range Entity,
>>> but it should be Agent ....
>>> hadQualifiedAgent with range Agent,
>

> I added this extra triple and the corresponding axiom at
> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Agent_Association

Is it added to the ontology?
The mapping no longer needs to show hadQUalifiedEntity

>> This is a PROV-O issue, which if addressed there can be easily
>> reflected in the mapping.
>>
>> Proposal: Raise against PROV-O, and reflect any ensuing change in
>> mapping.

>>> Association
>>> --- misses a functional property hadActivity
>>>

>> Same response as for Usage.
>
> +1
>
> I added a note at
> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Agent_Association

Same comment as above.  I am OK with your suggestion to have these in
separate files if appropriate.

>> proposal: Raise against PROV-O to discuss whether to introduce a
>> hadActivity property, and reflect any ensuing change in mapping.

>>> Association
>>> ---- adoptedPlan i would have thought it had to be functional
>>
>> This is a PROV-O issue.
>>
>> proposal: Raise against PROV-O.  No change is needed to the mapping.

>>> Delegation: what is it?
>>> is it what is called Responsibility Record in WD3?
>>>

>> I'm not sure (didn't write this part), but I believe it is a class
>> that is populated by the identifiers of responsibility records (as
>> Usage for used, Generation for wasGeneratedBy).  This seems obvious
>> from the way it is used in the rule, but deserves explanation.
>

> I'd love to rename Delegation to Responsibility. Please let us do it.
> Added a note at http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Responsibility
>

>> Proposal: Add a sentence to ProvRDF explaining this.

>>> No collection
>>>

>> True, and the reason is the same as for Bundle - constructs that were
>> in-flux or endangered as of F2F2 were not expected to be mapped.
>>
>> Proposal: Defer until collections stabilize.
>

> Proposal: ACTION on Stian to add ProvRDF rules.

>>> HadTemporalValue
>>> ---  is not functional
>>
>> True, but this is a PROV-O issue.
>>
>> Proposal: Re-raise against Prov-O.  No change needed to mapping.
>>
>>> --- has QualifiedInvolvement in its domain but
>

> I see that it has a domain of owl:Thing.
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/default/ontology/ProvenanceOntology.owl
>
>     168  <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/default/ontology/ProvenanceOntology.owl#l168>      <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="hadTemporalValue">
>
>     169  <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/default/ontology/ProvenanceOntology.owl#l169>          <rdf:type rdf:resource="&owl;IrreflexiveProperty"/>
>
>     170  <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/default/ontology/ProvenanceOntology.owl#l170>          <rdfs:label xml:lang="en"