Re: Comments on the current data model

Hi Simon,

Ah, the good old cake, ... soon cracking eggs coming back ;-)

Seriously, response interleaved.

On 10/11/2011 01:46 PM, Simon Miles wrote:
> Hi Luc,
>

>> I don't understand your multiple granularities. Can you explain?
>>
> I mean, to use an old example, that a cake may be reasonably be
> asserted to be generated by a BakeCake execution and also by a
> CookInOven execution, because the latter is a finer grained
> description than the former. The assertions could be by the same
> asserter or two different asserters.

Do you mean the same entity, generated by two different process
executions? I assume
so (separate entities wouldn't cause any problem).

The document says that if the cake was generated at two different
moments, we really
should have two different entities (since, we should be able to expose
some attribute
that changes or is created by the second generation).

So, really, we would have to have exact identical instant, where both
PEs generate
this same entity. The document again says, for this to happen, we would
have to have
synchronisation of the two PEs, and again it's not possible.

When I wrote this paragraph, I had in mind, two independent processes.
In your
example, one PE "is included in/is a part of "  the other.  They are not
independent.
That's only then that the granularity comes into play, and account are used
to separate different granularities.

> Before accounts are mentioned, this seems perfectly reasonable - why
> would we disallow such a description? However, we have a restriction
> that, for an account to be valid, each entity can only be generated by
> one execution within that account. This suggests to me that he
> restriction is about accounts and their validity rather than
> generation events.

So, for independent PEs, the restriction by itself makes sense, and is
intimately
linked to the nature of entities and of generation events.

For dependent PEs, then, yes,  this brings a further justification for
accounts.

All of this needs to be clarified in the document.