Re: PROV-ISSUE-50 (Ordering of Process): Defintion for Ordering of Process [Conceptual Model]

Hi Satya,

First, you will note that wasInformedBy is *not* a temporal relation
between process executions.
It is *not* transitive.  It requires information to flow between two
PEs.  For wasInformedBy(pe1,pe2),
a minimum constraint is that the end of pe2 does *not* precede the start
of pe1.
The data journalism example had an illustration of such relation. It has
been established to be useful
both theoretically and practically.

Second, it would be nice for PROV to have a temporal ordering relation.
However, we have to be
careful. The relations used/generatedBy/derivedFrom/dependedOn/... all
have a notion of causality/influence:
the source of the edge being influenced by the edge destination.

We know that causal order implies temporal order, but not the converse.
I am therefore reluctant
to introduce a relation that arbitrarily capture  temporal order.  What
would it give us? After all,
we can associate time with
PEs, and given such time information, we can already decide if pe1 start
precedes pe2 start, or if pe1 end
precedes pe2 start. What would a temporal relation give us over time?

The relation wasScheduleAfter attempts to capture some temporal
ordering, with underpinning
causal influence.  You are incorrect to state that to assert
wasScheduledAfter you need to know of an agent.
It's exactly the contrary. By asserting wasScheduledAfter, you also
assert the existence of such an
agent, but don't have to specify which it is.

Final point, your reference [1] had not been agreed, it is the proposal
you made back then.

So, in conclusion:
1. I would argue that wasInformedBy is useful, and should be kept as
such, ... and definitely cannot
    be subsumed by some temporal ordering.

2. Temporal ordering *with* some form of underpinning causal influence,
is also useful. I agree that
    wasScheduledAfter is a first attempt. Maybe somebody can put forward
alternative definitions.

Cheers,
Luc