Re: PROV-ISSUE-165 (TLebo): Enforcing non-contradictory provenance. [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

On 23/11/2011 15:37, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> PROV-ISSUE-165 (TLebo): Enforcing non-contradictory provenance. [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

> Raised by: Timothy Lebo
> On product: Accessing and Querying Provenance
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/paq/provenance-access.html
>
> 2. Accessing provenance information
>
> "... the availability of provenance information about a resource may vary ... provided that such change does not contradict any previously retrieved information."
>

> I could imagine a service that reports the creation date of a file, but "forgot" to handle a daylight savings transition and reported a time that is incorrect by one hour. Once this bug was identified and corrected, must an entirely NEW provenance URI be used to offer the corrected provenance information? According to the "non-contradictory" requirement stated in PAQ, one could not just tweak the true modification time and offer it at the original provenance URI.
>
> Is this the desired intent?

No.  In this case the first publication is simply wrong.  I think it's a
slippery slope if we try to get into specifying the nature of possible errors.

The Web is full of errors and omissions and downright lies.  I don't think we
can begin to constrain the existence of such errors... this is, in part, why we
need provenqnce.  But provenance itself is just another kind of information on
the Web, and is itself subject to the same foibles.  How far do we need to go in
explaining this?

I tried to say something in section 3.1
(http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/primer/Primer.html#entities) and
section 8
(http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/tip/paq/provenance-access.html#security-considerations),
but I think some more is needed.  Maybe a sentence in the introduction, with a
little more expansion in the security considerations?