PROV-ISSUE-153 (complementarity): Complementarity description differs from model definition [Primer]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:18:11 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-153 (complementarity): Complementarity description differs from model definition [Primer]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/153

Raised by: Graham Klyne
On product: Primer

Primer section: 2.7 Complementarity

While I personally think the notion of complementarity described here is the
more useful one, I don't think it agrees with the current PROV-DM
(http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/tip/model/ProvenanceModel.html#record-complement-of).

(What you describe here might be termed "characterizationOf" (of "viewOf"),
which notion I see as being foundational to the way entities are related to
things.)

To clarify: in my reading, primer defines complementarity as an asymmetric relationship, where one characterization is subsumed by the other.  But the model definition is symmetric,  simply saying that the characterizations overlap in some sense.