PROV-ISSUE-149 (revision-asserter): Why does revision record include an asserter? [Data Model]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:01:42 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-149 (revision-asserter): Why does revision record include an asserter? [Data Model]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/149

Raised by: Simon Miles
On product: Data Model

The Revision record contains its own asserter, but it is unclear why.

"Deciding whether something is made available as a revision of something else usually involves an agent who represents someone in the world who takes responsibility for declaring that the former is variant of the latter...

A revision record...
may refer to a responsible agent with identifier ag."

The agent appears to be just the entity deciding whether to make the assertion or not (whether one entity is a revision of another). This is no different from any other assertion: it is always in some asserter's perspective that the assertion is true. We don't include the asserter explicitly in Used, Generated, Derived or other records, so why do we for Revision?