Re: PROV-ISSUE-101 (Conceptual Model): Section 5.2.2 ProcessExecution (conceptual model document review) [Conceptual Model]

Hi Tim,

I am about to make some edits to the event section.

On 11/08/2011 04:28 PM, Timothy Lebo wrote:
> I am troubled by the presence of these underlying "events" in the DM.
>
> Why are they not simply "time instants"?

event is a common term in process algebra.  To me it's very important to
be able to talk
about changes in the system (use of entity/generation/start of
process/end of process) without
having to refer to time.
> I think it would be fair to consider a ProcessExecution an Event, in which case a proper interval Event is delimited by two time instant Events -- THREE events to describe one?
>
> It seems that "events" in DM exist only to delimit ProcessExecutions and the characterization intervals with singular moments in time.

that's correct.
> If we keep "events" - could there be a description somewhere about why they are called that?
> I might see an argument that, if a characterization interval ends, SOMETHING would needed to have happened to end it.

They allow us to provide a temporal interpretation of prov-dm.

I am not against changing the term. I personally find event well aligned
with process algebra.