Re: PROV-ISSUE-125: derivation-attributes constraint (PROV-DM and PROV-O) [Data Model]

Hi Satya,

On 10/15/2011 11:48 PM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> PROV-ISSUE-125: derivation-attributes constraint (PROV-DM and PROV-O) [Data Model]

> Raised by: Satya Sahoo
> On product: Data Model
>
> The following constraint (id=derivation-attributes) is defined for wasDerivedFrom Relation (in mercurial fpwd head PROV-DM document on Oct 15, 2011):
>
> "Given a process execution expression denoted by pe, entity expressions denoted by e1 and e2, qualifiers q1 and q2, the assertion wasDerivedFrom(e2,e1,pe,q2,q1) or wasDerivedFrom(e2,e1) holds if and only if the values of some attributes of the entity expression identified by e2 are partly or fully determined by the values of some attributes of the entity expression identified by e1."
>
> Issue:
> a) This attribute-based constraint for wasDerivedFrom property can lead to ambiguous assertions of wasDerivedFrom between Entity instances.
>
> Example scenario: The color attribute of an apple, kept in a refrigerator, "color = brown" is determined by the attribute of the refrigerator "temperature = -10C". Can we assert that "brown apple" wasDerivedFrom "refrigerator"?
>
> We can argue that the "brown apple" dependedOn "refrigerator" with temperature setting of -10C, but not wasDerivedFrom
>
> Suggestion: restate the above attribute-based constraint for "dependedOn" relation instead of "wasDerivedFrom"

The WG agreed that this constraint should be dropped.

> b) Since dependedOn is a weaker notion of wasDerivedFrom - we can assert in the PROV-O that dependedOn is a parent property (more generic version) of wasDerivedFrom

That's a prov-o specific comment.
You need to be careful about transitivity. One is, the other is not, i
believe.

> c) Suggest renaming dependedOn to dependentOn

It's nice to be able to keep the verbal form, similarly to the other
relations, with past explicit.

I feel we can close this issue. Let me know if otherwise.

Cheers,