Simplicity (was: definition of derivation?)

Luc,

I prefer Satya's simpler form.  I think it tells us what we need to know right now.

As I recall, we set out on this course of creating definitions so we could have
some vocabulary to talk about a provenance model.  I think making such formal
definitions at this stage (if ever) is not really helping us to make progress.

I understand that you would like a system with a level of ontological commitment
that helps to power certain kinds of inference.  But it's really hard to back
out of such commitments once they are baked in to a vocabulary, but relatively
easy to extend a vocabulary compatibly to add commitments.  If a system is
overcommited in ways that do not suit some potential users, they are forced to
invent their own separate systems.  But if it is under-committed for some
purposes, it is still possible to build upon it.

So, at this stage, I think we'd make faster progress if we focused on more open
(less constrained) forms of definition, so we can more on to see how they can
fit together.  It's in the more holistic context of seeing the vocabulary terms
work together that I think we can start to see what additional constraints may
be needed.

In my view, a measure of success of this group will be if it's output ecourages
developers and publishers to make provenance available.  Given "a little
semantics goes a long way", I think that ease of understanding and publication
should trump power of inference.  We need developers and publishers to look at
what we produce and to instantly think "that's easy, I can add that tomorrow".
Anything that gets in the way of that will reduce our effectiveness as a WG.
(Stephen Hawking, in the acknowlegements for his "A brief history of time", says
he was advised that each equation in his book would halve its sales; I think we
have a similar situation here concerning the degree of formality imposed in
order to just understand the provenance vocabulary)