Re: prov-issue-11: what is version?

Hi Simon, Luc

I feel users/implementors of the PIL will need to express versioning
information; at least I know I need it :-) now whether that notion of
version is part of the PIL, a profile of the PIL, or a mapping to another
vocabulary is another question.
I like Luc's definition.
Here are some comments on the notion of version (that are
"engineering-driven" I would say) :

   - provenance/history information can be automatically recorded by an
   application, while versioning (in the way I see it) requires someone to say
   "I have reviewed all the modifications and I consider that this artifact is
   now of version x+1" (there is an explicit action involved to create a new
   version);
   - a version is (I think) associated with the notion of publication of the
   artifact (even if some modification happened to version x, you don't
   consider it being version x+1 until you decide to publish it);
   - there is somehow a link between all the atomic modifications made
   between version x and x+1, and version x+1 (so that you can compute/display
   the difference between 2 versions);

Cheers
Thomas

--