Re: Regarding the definition of IVP OF

Hi,

still trying to come to grips with IVP. I must have left the room at the wrong time for my other meeting on day 2 :-)

on def [1]:

Let A and B be two entity states. An assertion "B is an IVP of A" indicates that, for its asserter, A and B represent the same
entity in the world, and the entity states modelled by A and B are consistent. "B is an IVP of A" is valid ony if, for its asserter,
the following holds:

    * the properties they share must have corresponding values
    * some mutable properties of A correspond to some immutable properties of B

B has invariant properties that have no correspondent for A

  can someone please clarify (true/false):
1. "consistent" is the same as "the properties they share must have corresponding values"  ("corresponding" has been defined
elsewhere, so it's fine)
2. "mutable" is the same as "invariant"

my guess is true/true.
if so, isn't the last statement enough to conclude that IVP is anti-symmetric? (it can still be transitive, but no cycles are
allowed as in one of Luc's earlier examples in this thread)
/however/, in Jim's counter-example (the file/document duality), may I suggest that "for the asserter" is the key here, i.e., we may
have two asserters who hold "symmetric" views of the same entity, and that's fine.  Just a relativistic thought.

[1]  http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/F2F1ConceptDefinitions#IVP_of

thanks... -Paolo

--
Paolo Missier - Paolo.Missier@newcastle.ac.uk, pmissier@acm.org