Re: PROV-ISSUE-75 (provenance-service-and-provenance-uri): What do we do when we get both provenance service and provenance-uri? [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

On 22/08/2011 23:01, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> PROV-ISSUE-75 (provenance-service-and-provenance-uri): What do we do when we get both provenance service and provenance-uri? [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

> Raised by: Luc Moreau
> On product: Accessing and Querying Provenance
>
> Do we need to specify what a client should do, when it obtains both a provenance service uri and a provenance-uri?  I don't think the specification disallows this case.
>
> It's probably like getting multiple provenance-uris. It's worth stating it explicitly.

You're right, that case is not disallowed.

The client can pick either option, or maybe even try both.  It's an application
choice.  I'd prefer there weren't two options here, but I can't see how to
otherwise satisfy the scenario requirements without imposing undue constraints
on application design.

In practice, I would expect most discovery services to provide one or the other,
not both.