Re: updates to PAQ doc for discussion

Myers, Jim wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> In:
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-
>> file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#concept-IVP-of
>> (I note the section anchor still retains the old name :)
>>
>> I see:
>> "we say that A is-complement-of B, and B is-complement-of A, in a
>> symmetrical fashion"
>
> But the next section says asymmetric is OK too...
>
>> By my understanding the original IVPof was not symmetrical.
>
> I would use the open world to claim it was - the existence of some properties where A is more immutable than B doesn't stop the opposite from being true as well...

I think that depends on how they are derived.  My working assumption has been
that one has a dynamic resource, but to meaningfully express provenance about
that resource one has to adopt a constrained view.

For example, a W3C specification undergoes a number of revisions, but they are
all identified with the same latest-version link. This suggests the
specification though its lifetime as a dynamic resource, and particular
revisions as constrained views of that resource.  Provenance might be applied to
either; e.g. if the creator of the overall resource is Tom, then Tom is also the
creator of the various revisions, but the most-recent editor is static only for
given revisions.

This kind of constraining relation seems useful and natural to me - even in an
open world - and reasonably easy to reason about to boot.  But I can't see what
useful actionable purpose is served by a relationship like complementOf.  For
me, the complexity and impenetrability of the description is inicative of a
problem here.

>> In the example given there, I think it is claiming that, say, views M3 and L2 are
>> complementOf, but I'd say they are not in any IVPof relation.
>
> I would have said IVPof fits this too, but I'm not sure that opinion was shared. I think the broader, potentially symmetric definition is what we need,
regardless of what the answer was.

Interesting - almost the opposite of what I just wrote :)

What (practical) *use* do you see in the complementOf relation?  Why might a
developer of provenance-handling software care about it?

Cheers,