RE: playing with pil ontology

Hi Khalid,

Please see comments inline

From: Khalid Belhajjame [mailto:Khalid.Belhajjame@cs.man.ac.uk]
Sent: 12 August 2011 10:22
To: Deus, Helena
Cc: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: playing with pil ontology

Hi Helena,

Thanks for this, I think that this is a good exercise and some of the
point you mentioned relate to the conceptual model, not only the formal
model.

On 11/08/2011 18:52, Deus, Helena wrote:

Hi all,

Reiterating a bit on what was addressed today  in the telco, I
downloaded the ontology from mercurial and tried to use it with my use
case.

I am using the use cases published in [1] and demoed with SPARQL at
http://biordfmicroarray.googlecode.com/hg/sparql_endpoint.html

Here is my input so far:

Agent could have dataProperty "label" and "description"; it would help
the implementer describe what type of agent does he/she intend to
describe. Is the ontology here being confused with the query model?

I think that there was previously a long thread discussion on agent and
agent types, and whether the model should be prescriptive in this
respect. One of the solutions that I think many people were happy with
is to leave users choose their favorite model(ontology) for agent, which
means that the agent class defined in the ontology acts as a place
holder that can be specialized to include description, types, and
whatever the application needs.

I am not questioning whether agent should be mapped to agents defined
elsewhere, which seems to be obvious- only wondering whether agent
"label" and "description" are things we want to standardize in our model
or not. We can "suggest" rdfs:label and rdfs:comment without enforcing
it as such - having those included in the model will likely result in
much less heterogeneity when it comes to reporting provenance
(particularly since we are defining it necessarily "open" and highly
granular to fit any particular domain.

ProvenanceContainer is not useful, or its description is not clear; what
should be an instance of provenanceContainer?

At this stage, the description of this concept is not yet stable in the
conceptual model as far as I know.

What was its intended purpose/role in the description of provenance?

I want to create an instance of a "untransformed" entity (in my case, a
dataset) and a "transformed" entity. Is the model going to give me that
granularity/expressivity or do we expect each implementer to come up
with their own way of defining these?

Could you please clarify what you mean by transformed and untransformed
entity?

Example: a list of height measurement is an "untransformed" entity (a
dataset); the average of that list is the "transformed" entity (another
dataset, although a very simple one).

I am dealing with much more complex workflows, (e.g. files containing
the outcome of a microarray experiment as the untransformed dataset and
a list of differentially expressed genes as the transformed dataset), so
please take the example above is just illustrative.

ProcessExecution needs more expressivity, I think. Not sure how to solve
this in a domain independent way, but here's my problem:

An investigator (agent) performs an experiment

That experiment has several input parameters, some of which are entities
(e.g. samples), other are not (e.g. temperature).

Resulting from the experiment are several output parameters (entities)

I think that the current model caters for the above need. If you are
specifically trying to differentiate between different kinds of inputs
(samples as opposed to temperature), then the notion of role can be
helpful in this resepect.

So if I understand what you are saying correctly, "temperature" would be
an entity of type "input", which in turn would be subclass of "role". An
instance of "input" could then have a certain value (e.g. 15C) in one of
its properties?

In that case, does it make sense to include "input" and "output" classes
in the model as subclasses of "role"? Or is this something that me and
Stephan exemplify in the primer document under "usage of agent" (or
something of the sort)?

Thanks, khalid

Have not completed my "experiment" yet, but will provide more feedback
soon J

Best Regards,

Helena F. Deus

Post-doctoral Researcher