Re: PROV-ISSUE-66 (is-execution-a-bob): Why is process execution not defined as a characterised entity? [Conceptual Model]

Hi Simon, Luc, and Jim,
I agree with Simon's initial point, which I was making when I raised the
issue, that our current definition of BOB as characterizable entity allowed
PE to be a subclass of BOB -hence the need to change the definition of BOB.

Going back Luc's initial point about perdurant and endurant - actually
continuant and occurrent (since we are talking about universals that have
instances [1]), BOB in our work refers to continuant and PE to occurrent (in
both cases may be in a less than direct manner).

Since the distinction between continuant and occurrent is well understood
and accepted by many knowledge representation communities (e.g. both BFO and
DOLCE upper level ontologies), I suggest that we reuse this in our work.

Since, we are voting to call BOB as entity (according to current voting
patterns), I propose the following modification of BFO definitions of
continuant and occurrent [2] for our purpose:
Continuant/BOB: A thing that exists in full at any time in which it exists
at all, persists through time while maintaining its identity and has no
temporal parts.
Occurrent/PE: A thing that has temporal parts and that happens, unfolds or
develops through time.

I suggest that we refer to both DOLCE and BFO documents to get further
details and background about the above definitions ([1] has good
explanation).

As Jim discusses, BOB and PE are related by the participation property
(which would make use and generation its sub-properties).

Thanks.

Best,
Satya

[1] DOLCE: http://www.springerlink.com/content/5p86jk323x0tjktc/fulltext.pdf
[2] BFO terms: www.ifomis.org/bfo/1.1

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Hi Luc, Jim,
>>
>> Luc:
>>

>>> We still haven't defined process ordering, and I would argue that
>>> ... We haven't had time to define this in spec. Sorry.
>>>

>> OK. I'm not certain having a signal from one execution to another is
>> the same as one creating another, but am happy to leave this debate if
>> you think it is not for this draft.
>>

> Hopefully, we'll write something by end of the week.
> This said, I have looked at starting/ending process execution
> as control, rather than process ordering (a la opm:wasTriggeredBy).
>

>  But surely there still needs to be some resolution to the issue
>> itself? The model implies (or is at least very easy to read as
>> implying) that a PE is a kind of BOB, by the fact that a PE as defined
>> fits the definition of a BOB. But if this is not intended, then what
>> should the OWL file contain to reflect the model accurately? Again, I
>> believe this was Satya's point, but he should probably clarify
>> himself.
>>

> Why not simply: BOB owl:isDisjointWith ProcessExecution?
>
> Luc
>

>  [ To justify the importance of clarifying this in the model, I was
>> working with someone last week who was using OPM and had expressed
>> things in their application as artifacts that I would intuitively
>> considered processes. They saw the final report on each process as
>> their only knowledge of it, and those reports are static, so the
>> processes were modelled as artifacts but with the names and reported
>> characteristics of the processes. ]
>>
>> Jim, if I understand your argument correctly, you are saying that:
>>  - we should redefine PE/BOB to ensure a PE is not a BOB
>>  - we should define a relation from a PE to its 'substrate(s)', which are
>> BOBs
>>  - describing the provenance of these substrates (along with
>> everything else PIL can already say) completes the description of the
>> provenance of a PE
>>
>> Is that correct? If so, I can buy that, but I'm not yet clear what
>> that would look like in the model document, or if you are saying it is
>> already as such in the document.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Simon
>>
>> On 1 August 2011 16:38, Myers, Jim<MYERSJ4@rpi.edu>  wrote:
>>

>>> While I suspect that the potential symmetry that Simon is identifying is
>>> 'there', I would argue against making PE = Bob (or making them
>>> subclasses of a common ancestor) from two angles:
>>>
>>> The most compelling to me is just that I cannot see how we're going to
>>> explain the model if we argue that what people typically think of as
>>> objects and what they typical call processes are really not so
>>> distinguishable. As I'll suggest below, I think we have ways to address
>>> Simon's use cases if we have IVPof (and maybe participates) and I'm
>>> hopeful we can argue for them without resorting to endurant/perdurant
>>> arguments. (If we did make them the same, or subclasses of the same
>>> thing (and we can find the Bob and PE that correspond via some