From: Nick Doty [mailto:npdoty@w3.org]
Sent: 03 December 2015 00:50
To: Keiji Takeda <tkeiji@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Browser Fingerprinting using HSTS and CSP

Thanks for sharing that with the list; it's an interesting challenge.

I was under the impression that it didn't work in recent builds of Firefox
specifically because Firefox didn't allow a CSP policy that required
HTTP-only access. Does anyone know if that's still correct? Is that a
general solution that could be deployed to other browsers?

More generally, though, it seems like we should pro-actively consider other
attacks that might be like this. What are the privacy implications of
features like HSTS or others where a header during one visit changes future
behavior? Should we just try to move as much HSTS into pre-load lists rather
than by headers on a visit? Or are there timing variations that should be
made (in implementations individually, or it could even be by spec) that
will mitigate against this kind of attack?

―Nick