Re: Browser Fingerprinting using HSTS and CSP

Thanks for sharing that with the list; it's an interesting challenge.

I was under the impression that it didn't work in recent builds of Firefox specifically because Firefox didn't allow a CSP policy that required HTTP-only access. Does anyone know if that's still correct? Is that a general solution that could be deployed to other browsers?

More generally, though, it seems like we should pro-actively consider other attacks that might be like this. What are the privacy implications of features like HSTS or others where a header during one visit changes future behavior? Should we just try to move as much HSTS into pre-load lists rather than by headers on a visit? Or are there timing variations that should be made (in implementations individually, or it could even be by spec) that will mitigate against this kind of attack?

―Nick