Re: Detecting browser fingerprinting

Hi Bjoern,

Just for clarity, we logged the following events by modifying the WebKit
code base of Chromium and PhantomJS.

  * font load attempts by intercepting calls to/CSSFontFace::getFontData
    /and/CSSFontSelector::getFontData /methods/
    /
  * access to the following navigator properties and methods:/userAgent,
    appCodeName, product, productSub, vendor, vendorSub, onLine,
    appVersion, language, plugins, mimeTypes, cookieEnabled(),
    javaEnabled()/
  * access to/navigator.plugins: name, filename, description, length/
  * access to /navigator.mimeTypes: enabledPlugin, description,
    suffixes, type/
  * /window.screen /properties/: horizontalDPI,verticalDPI, height,
    width, colorDepth, pixelDepth, availLeft, availTop, availHeight,
    availWidth/
  * access to/offsetWidth /and /offsetHeight /properties
    and/getBoundingRect /method of HTML elements/./

For the Flash files, we grepped for the ActionScript calls that are
listed in the paper (Appendix B)
<http://www.cosic.esat.kuleuven.be/publications/article-2334.pdf> after
decompilation.
That includes, for example, /enumerateFonts, getFontList,/ /XMLSocket,
getLocal/ and so on.

Also please note that our tool requires some manual analysis to get rid
of false positives and (safely) determining a script/SWF is
fingerprinting or not. That includes e.g., checking the WHOIS records,
company websites and reviewing fingerprinting code (if it's not obfuscated).

But this is for discovering new "fingerprinters"; for the ones we listed
on the last page of the paper, one just need to grep on the HTTP request
URLs - like Ghostery, AdBlock or similar tools do.

Best regards,
Gunes Acar

PhD Student
University ofLeuven
Dept. Electrical Engineering-ESAT / COSIC
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10, B-3001 Leuven, Belgium
Office: 01.17
tel: +32 16 32 11 29 fax: +32 16 32 19 69
email: gunes.acar (at) esat.kuleuven.be
web page: http://www.esat.kuleuven.be/cosic/?page_id=126
http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~gacar/fpdetective/
<http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/%7Egacar/fpdetective/>