Re: MAC addresses and privacy...

I think the trouble we are facing is that something is working different than
the way we expect it to work. I still lack sufficient knowledge about the real
bits, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

I think we react (and that was also my reaction) because MAC-addresses are
something useful in my local network. It helps me to do all kinds of things.
But if some software is capable of blowing the boundaries of this local
network, the MAC address turns into a uniqueID facilitating traceablility.

Now while we have other expectations for MAC addresses, IPv6 addresses are
supposed to identify a device. So no need for a MAC address to do the tracing
in a near future.

But is this evil? Evil means that somebody has consciousness about a behaviour
being rejected by society and still continues to do it. But I think somebody
just tried to be useful so that they can provide your location history (and
benefit from that at the same time)

So what we should discuss here is the profound expectations and requirements
we have for a democratic society concerning this unique identifiers. And there
things like "controlabilty" come to my mind.

To conclude, I think it is not without value to collect such cases and give
some opinions that may even turn into some best practice in one way or the
other.

One way to do that may be the PLING wiki, where we collect already those
enlightening cases. The challenge in this case is to describe the case as
neutral as possible and keep the emotions of deceived expectations in a
separate statement.
http://www.w3.org/Policy/pling/wiki/InterestingCases

Anyone willing to write this down?

Best,