Re: MAC addresses and privacy...

Rigo,

I like the idea of  'Controllability' especially when discussing what
seems like a serious privacy vulnerability.  I definitely think that
the 'leakyness' of MAC addresses is a bad thing?   Although, recent
headlines of Russian spies being caught in the US are due to MAC
address sniffing.  http://www.bbcfocusmagazine.com/issue/ispy  Which
illustrates that context and perspective seems to determine its
benefit or detriment.

In this regard maybe some more research and analysis of this issues is
warranted? What do you think about the idea of tracking the use of MAC
addresses and submitting a subject access request (or two) to
organisations that are storing MAC addresses?

The challenge (I propose) is to track institutional use of MAC address
to attempt to find the frequency and occurence of a MAC address in
databases.   What these MAC addresses are being used for, their state
of storage and transmission. Etc.

With this research we could then look at stuff like 'Controllability'
across both technology and policy implementations.

Does this sound like an interesting approach?

Mark Lizar

(strawman) Subject Access Request

Dear (enter org)

We respectful request (informal) subject access to information
regarding the transmission of a MAC address and its technical
environment for research and personal purposes. As such we require:
a description of how MAC addresses are harvested and used;
the purposes for which they are being processed; and
the disclosees, or potential disclosees, of this personal data.
Do you provide notice of this activity to the MAC address owner?  Do
provide notice of this activity at all?

Ask if org Informed of basic legal notice that is required to a data
subject (if appropriate)

Or/And  Formally:
We would like to submit this request under section (what ever law)
(e.g. Data Protection Act. UK)

I understand that you collect and harvest this "xxxx" MAC address, is
this true? If (Y) then

Please present a log of this MAC address, its frequency in your
databases, and its use.

Please provide a list of all third parties this MAC address  has been
shared with along with when this MAC address was shared with a 3rd
party.

Best Regards,

Signed The Inquiring Research/Data Subject.

*** Rinse and Repeat **

E.g. change the MAC address and query third parties in the same way
until the use of the MAC address is as mapped as possible.