Re: MAC addresses and privacy...

David Singer wrote:

> Indeed, it's the more general concern I was having an anxiety attack about.  I always imagined it was *infrastructure* Mac addresses that were harvested.  The thought that my *laptop's* Mac address is in the database feels rather different.  And no, I never put my laptop into 'infrastructure mode' at home.

That's what I thought as well.

Trying with my laptop, the service was reliably finding the location of the MAC address of the network I'm in, but had nothing about the (wifi) MAC address of my laptop. And yes, I've used the Google geolocation service from that laptop, through both Chrome and Firefox.

> Bluetooth also uses Mac addresses.  Maybe someone is harvesting those as well.  You could probably track a person's movements by following sightings of their WiFi or Bluetooth.  Ugh.  I am effectively broadcasting "It's me, I'm nearby" all the time, to anyone who cares to listen.
>
> Can I have a tin-foil hat, please?

And yes, it certainly is possible to use a geolocation provider to harvest this sort of information about users' machines. It's also possible (to go down the tin-foil route a bit further) to harvest this sort of information about *nearby* machines, e.g,. using malware.

Cheers,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>  (@roessler)