Re: Does the Crystal Goblet apply?

On a sidenote, Tony, I am personally a fan of SWIG:
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.macperl/2003/09/msg2874.html. :-)

Dunno if SWIG is the answer, though, although it's something to
consider. At the same time I was associated with FOP I wrote an XSL-FO
formatter in Perl that captured quite a lot of the spec: that took less
than a calendar month. I obviously had the significant advantage of
knowing the spec very well, but I'd still say, based on that - and
general experience - that writing XSL-FO formatters from scratch for a
few more important languages could well be better than SWIG.

I think you hit on a central point, which is education: tutorials, for
example. XSL-FO is not suffering low rates of adoption because it's more
difficult to use than other technologies, it's suffering because it
hasn't been sold that well.

Arved