Re: Does the Crystal Goblet apply?

Note the phrasing Tony?

On 2 January 2014 12:42, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net> wrote:
> On Thu, January 2, 2014 6:49 am, Dave Pawson wrote:
>> Just picking up one scope point Arved
>> IF (big if without a list of deliverables) we produce something like
>> XSL-FO
>> from this group, how do you see UI design coming into this groups scope?
>
> The difficulty I have with saying that we will produce XSL-FO 2.0 or even
> a 1.2 is that we have no reasonable expectation that it will be
> implemented.

I did not say an xsl-fo 2.0, I said, and meant, something similar in tone?
I.e. a 'what' type of document, rather than how.
W3C have (rightly or wrongly) define xsl-fo as dead today. There has
to be a take away from that?
  With its background and (original) author, that might point to something
simpler.

> Expanding on what I just said in reply to Liam, maybe the way forward for
> XSL-FO is to produce more tutorials and helper libraries to make XSL-FO
> easier for people to adopt?

,,, Maybe... maybe not? Are you thinking of leveraging on current
implementations?
Lots of syntactic sugar atop XSL-FO?

> Or to SWIG [1] xmlroff or even do Antenna House's work for them and SWIG
> AHF just so there's a XSL-FO formatter available to programmers working in
> languages other than C or Java?

Personal view... Look forward 10 years. Will there still be implementations
from which to leverage? No more than a gut feeling, but I just don't think
of that as a productive route Tony?

regards

--
Dave Pawson