What layout/styling technologies have people used? [Was: Revise group description?]

On Tue, December 17, 2013 8:06 pm, Jean Kaplansky wrote:
> That said, the fact of the matter is that both functional and
> declarative/procedural languages exist. As a community, we should think
> utopian – get as many people discussing page layout stuff as possible,
> regardless of their language preference. Some stuff that makes up the
> craft of page layout remains the same regardless of programming language
> preference.

Which got me thinking: language preferences can and do change over time,
so what have people here used to make pages from markup in the past as
well as the present?

'Make pages' is a loose definition since I don't know how to count either
EPUB or technologies that are predominantly for screen display (Isn't most
PDF just for screen display these days?), and I'm not looking to
distinguish between one-off tasks and technologies you used for years on
end.

My list includes:

 - AGFA/Xerox CAPS

 - Troff