Re: What layout/styling technologies have people used? [Was: Revise group description?]

On 12/17/2013 5:34 PM, Tony Graham wrote:
> Which got me thinking: language preferences can and do change over time,
> so what have people here used to make pages from markup in the past as
> well as the present?
>
> 'Make pages' is a loose definition since I don't know how to count either
> EPUB or technologies that are predominantly for screen display (Isn't most
> PDF just for screen display these days?), and I'm not looking to
> distinguish between one-off tasks and technologies you used for years on
> end.
>
> My list includes:

I'd like to add a couple of niche products from the 90s -

Omnimark: SGML/XML to HTML or RTF

WordPerfect SGML/XML tools: DSSSL-like stylesheet language for the
built-in print engine.

I say a lot of PDF is for screen display, but I don't see a large
percentage sized to displays - it's usually either US Letter/A4 or
continuous display.  The predilection for "paper-sized" PDF either means
it's meant for print, or just laziness.

Michael R. Hahn                            Phone: 1-316-285-0762
michael@alphabyauthor.com                    Fax: 1-316-239-2553