Re: PROPOSED RESOLUTION on Arbitrary RDF in POWDER

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:58:47 +1000, Scheppe, Kai-Dietrich
<k.scheppe@telekom.de> wrote:

> I think that dropping this outweighs the inconvenience of having to
> create a separate profile.

Agreed (unsurprisingly).

> I am a fan of separation of concerns, especially in the early stages.
> Opera's point of view goes in the direction of potentially increasing
> the uptake for this technology.
>
> Furthermore I think it would be a good think for companies and
> organizations to create profiles that describe them. This information
> could be used all over the place.

Again, agreed.

> What I cannot judge is if we loose flexibility by limiting the RDF in
> POWDER docs.

Well, so long as we insist that you point to a real RDF file, you have
increased flexibility by being able to work with real RDF frameworks,
while reserving implementability.

> However, I think this ability may well be reserved for future versions
> of POWDER.

I don't think, in the short term, that we should anticipate a change.
There will be small devices and specific use cases which are best served
by enabling a form of POWDER they can use. At the same time, the current
approach maintains POWDER as a full semantic web citizen designed to work
well with real RDF frameworks. So we already have the ability for any use
case that wants it.

(This is analgous to the early FOAF work, which by relying on distributed
files for raw data that could be anything, was real semantic web, although
many use cases like the "six-degrees by photo" co-depiction project, or
the FOAFnaut browsing application relied on the ability to simplify the
information to make it work on devices of the day - often more powerful
devices than the ones we are targeting).

cheers

Chaals

http://my.opera.com/chaals   Try Opera 9.5: http://www.opera.com