Re: Transport XML meta data as well as RDF?

Smith, Kevin, (R&D) VF-Group wrote:
> Hmmm...so does that mean that any descriptors more complex than a
> triple(s) are treated as 'xmldata'?
>
> E.g.
> <descriptorset>
>    <ex:palette type="1">
> 	<ex:colour>red</ex:colour>
> 	<ex:luminance>50</ex:luminance>
>    </ex:palette>
> </descriptorset>
>
> ? If so, can we simply say that where the descriptor contains a triple
> such as <> ex:color red, then map this to
>
>        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="http://example.org/vocab#colour" />
>        <owl:hasValue>red</owl:hasValue>
>
> but, if the descriptor is more complex, then map this to
>
>        <owl:onProperty
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#xmldata" />
>        <owl:hasValue>
> 	  <!-- add XML verbatim-->
> 	 </owl:hasValue>

Not quite no. This:

<descriptorset>
   <ex:colour>
     <ex:Red>
       <ex:hex>ff0000</ex:hex>
     </ex:Red>
   </ex:colour>
</descriptorset>

gets transformed into this:

<owl:Class rdf:nodeID="descriptorset_1">
   <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
     <owl:Restriction>
       <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="http://example.org/vocab#colour"/>
       <owl:hasValue>
         <ex:Red>
           <ex:hex>ff0000</ex:hex>
         </ex:Red>
       </owl:hasValue>
     </owl:Restriction>
   </owl:intersectionOf>
</owl:Class>

(see example 3-13 in the soon to be published Formal semantics doc). So
the property is restricted in the OWL sense of the word and its value
can be anything.

That's not the same as a (new) xmldata element where the property wouold
always be in the POWDER-S namespace and the value would be whatever
arbitrary XML was in there. Actually Stasinos has reminded me that you
should add rdf:parseType="Literal" to the owl:hasValue element (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/#xmlliterals)

> The complex descriptors can be easily spotted with the following XPATH:
>
> count(descendant::*) >1
>
> Just a bit wary of having a wrapper element called <xmldata> if we can
> determine that implicitly.

I don't like implicit things either as it can easily go wrong, hence I'd
prefer quite separate elements for XML meta data and RDF stuff (if we do
this at all).