From: public-poiwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-poiwg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Andy Mabbett
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:41 AM
To: public-poiwg@w3c.org
Subject: Re: "geo:" URIs

On 28 June 2011 13:32, Jens de Smit <jens@layar.com> wrote:
>> What about non-WGS84 CRSs, so that the schema is a) future-proof and
>> b) capable of expressing PoIs on other bodies, such as  the Moon or
>> Mars?
>
> Both GML and RFC5870 allow for specifying a different CRS. I don't
> know if there is an interstellar CRS yet, but the great thing is that
> we do not have to come up with it because we can use any CRS we want.

Thanks, Jens.

Yes, it is a great thing, which is why I asked for it to be included
in RFC5870 ;-)

It's important that we can refer unambiguously to, say, the locations
of features on The Moon, or the exploratory journeys of Mars landers.

I'm not familiar with GML, hence the question; it's good to know that
it allows for other CRSs.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.