Re: Marble, Virtual Globe and World Atlas

That, and other virtual globes are listed at [1]. A very popular one in the scientific community is NASA World Wind -- also open source. The point is, virtual globes are actually a pretty decent sized segment of the geospatial software ecosystem.

Many of these support KML, which is an OGC standard for encoding (and styling) geography in XML [2]. If you want to play around on a developer level, check out the open source libkml [3].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_globe
[2] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/kml/
[3] http://code.google.com/p/libkml/

-----