Re: GML-OpenStreetMap

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:51:31 +0100
To: jacques lemordant <jacques.lemordant@inria.fr>
Cc: "Public POI @ W3C" <public-poiwg@w3.org>
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM, jacques lemordant
<jacques.lemordant@inria.fr> wrote:
> Hello alex,
> On Nov 1, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Alex Hill wrote:
>
> I think we need GML in there.
> <http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/gml>
> And CityGML (another application Schema for GML).
> <http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/citygml>
>
> GML or OpenStreetMap?
> CityGML or  OpenStreetMap with key:building ?
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building)
>  OpenStreetMap GIS data is public (http://www.openstreetmap.org/) ,
> accessible for most part of the world
> and comes with free tools to create or enhanced it.
> What about GML data?

This feels like a comparison of two quite different kinds of thing.

GML is a data format standard (albeit associated with rich, complex,
professional data).

OpenStreetMap is a collaborative mapping project (although it's data
might be available in various formats, and it probably has to deal
with donations in those formats too).

What kind of comparison or relationship are we looking for here? eg.
how OSM data looks in GML, whether CityGML adds anything for the kind
of data OSM has, ...?

cheers,

Dan