Re: Social AR

Interesting discussion, just diving in (I subscribed just today to this list).

As the developer of TweepsAround (twitter) and Moby, Foursquare for Layar I really see a huge potential for social two way communication in AR.
Currently almost all Layar applications are built round a "read only" concept, apart from some games where user interaction can be seen as a very limited "write" action in geo space.

Both TweepsAround and Foursquare layer support update through the Layar platfrom, although usability certainly is an issue and in practice the bulk of usage is "read only", in other words just looking around. From  a technical perspective, write actions are hardly part of the Layar API model and I doubt it will be any easier on both Junaio or Wikitude. Of course the "floaticons" concept is indeed a kind of social messaging in AR space, but then indeed on a closed platform.

I have been following the ARWave initiative during end 2009 and begin 2010, I liked the idea of using the XMPP/Wave protocol which by its nature provides a rich social interaction model, both for reading (observing?) and writing. Did anything happen to this initiative lately?

Anyway, I would be really interested to take a potential upcoming Facebook checkin feature to Layar (and competing platforms) as time allows, please drop me a line if anyone knows more!

Have a nice day (back to listening mode),

Best,

- Johannes

Op 22 jul 2010, om 15:25 heeft Thomas Wrobel het volgende geschreven: