Re: Social AR

I think whats being looked for is something that selectively allows
messaging to just your friends, like Facebook only broadcasts to
people you (in theory) have let. Twitter is still a form of mass
broadcast really, as it exists without account/viewing restrictions.

Theres quite a few systems out there (or coming out) that let you
"glue" data to objects or areas and store them globally in the
company's own database.  Theres certainly big applications for that
alone, "annotating the world" combined with user-submitted content
could very quickly get quite powerful. (provided the is a big enough
pool of users able to contribute)

But, aside from potential moves by facebook, Ive yet to see any real
private-messaging done in AR space, and even then its restricted to
just that company hosting the data for you.