Re: Social AR

Hi,

On 22/07/2010 16:12, Thomas Wrobel wrote:
>> "Limiting the availability of the message
>> to only a few people sounds like a guarantee that the message will never
>> be read until the moment we're all continuously wearing AR glasses and
>> even then your friends have to stumble upon the message."
>
> "Hay! I'm Over Here!" [/massive arrow pointing down from the sky]
> Or
> "Meet here for drinks later?"
>
> Or how about geolocated reminders for you or any of your
> family/housemates to buy something when they are within a certain
> area?

Those are fun applications but still, you have to be actively looking
for these signs or you miss them. Using these tools for making
appointments is not something I personally would do, but I don't speak
for the internet of course.

> Sharing geolocated points doesn't have to be strictly in an AR
> context, of course, but its still useful to have private map points
> and annotations between friends and family with can be viewed with ar
> software.

I certainly can agree on that: visualizing geotagged social data in AR
can be awesome. Hiking trails, bike routes, off-piste ski/snowboard
crossings. Now this is semantics, but I don't regard this as "private
messaging" anymore, which was (until now :) the topic of our discussion.

> Not that it has to be geolocated either. Annotations can apply to
> images or dynamic points too. Say, seeing comments from who liked what
> next to a restaurant menu, or a list of your friends views on films
> next to a cinema schedule.  (as it happens I believe strangers views
> can be usefull here too, but most people trust their friends a lot
> more, because they already know how much their views correlate to
> their own)

The movie/restaurant/generic-going-out-place review is definitely a
great usecase where it would be great to see if one of your friends said
something about it. I can envision a layer filled with all your friend's
reviews around town so you can pick a night out. Excellent example :)

> For that mater, theres plenty of other uses both professional and
> personal where you dont want the data seen by the whole world, but
> only by a select group;
> Building plans, Infrastructure maintenance, monitoring health and
> fitness, planning a wedding  (just of the top of my head). Theres even
> AR application for security planning, or police investigations. Things
> that most certainly shouldn't be public, and preferably on a complete
> isolated server.

I cannot agree more that AR is great for these fields but the
applications you're naming now aren't typical social media applications
(medical, security). I'd like to stay on-topic in this thread :)

> Then theres gaming applications. A team based game would probably need
> data only visible to the side your playing with. Your "attack plan" or
> whatever probably shouldn't be visible by your enemy's.
> There must be hundreds of use's for AR only for select groups....you
> only have to open your mind a bit :)

Nice idea as well, but again departing from the typical "messaging"
paradigm where you contact people about generic stuff; this is very
focused on the game being played. Again, semantics :)

>> "The combination of AR and social media provides an excellent tool to
>> discover social media around you that is _not_ coming from the friends
>> you already know. Restricting messages to the same old groups destroys
>> this unique selling point of AR social media."
>
> It does private an excellent tool. No question about that.
> But the existence of email doesn't stop the internet existing :? Its
> not a restriction. Not an either/or.
> You simply have both.
> In this case, as different layers on your field of view. Private and
> public streams. Read-only and Read/Write too.
>
> The unique saleing point of AR is in-context information.  Thats
> useful in both   many<>many, group<>group and even 1<>1 forms of
> communication.
> Saying everything in AR has to be seen by everyone is a restriction.
>
> Both should be possible, just as they are on the Internet.
> The hope though is, that it wont end up being controlled by just a few
> small companies.

A few big companies is ok though? :P

I agree that it would be much better if messaging is as open as possible
with standards to communicate between providers/operators, just like
e-mail. In this light a model such as Twitter/TweepsAround is a great
approach: Twitter provides the microblogging service, TweepsAround the
AR placement (currently in Layar). TweepsAround could decide to supply
other platforms (Wikitude, Junaio) or connect other microblogging
services (aggregate Mobypicture, Twitpic, yam, whatever). Anyone else
could decide to build a similar service as well, giving you multiple
ways to visualize Twitter in AR.

This opposed to a Facebook AR app that connects to Facebook and Facebook
alone, does all kinds of Facebook-y things with your privacy and has no
alternative. That would suck.

Regards,

Jens