Re: Social AR

>"Limiting the availability of the message
>to only a few people sounds like a guarantee that the message will never
>be read until the moment we're all continuously wearing AR glasses and
>even then your friends have to stumble upon the message."

"Hay! I'm Over Here!" [/massive arrow pointing down from the sky]
Or
"Meet here for drinks later?"

Or how about geolocated reminders for you or any of your
family/housemates to buy something when they are within a certain
area?

Sharing geolocated points doesn't have to be strictly in an AR
context, of course, but its still useful to have private map points
and annotations between friends and family with can be viewed with ar
software.

Not that it has to be geolocated either. Annotations can apply to
images or dynamic points too. Say, seeing comments from who liked what
next to a restaurant menu, or a list of your friends views on films
next to a cinema schedule.  (as it happens I believe strangers views
can be usefull here too, but most people trust their friends a lot
more, because they already know how much their views correlate to
their own)

For that mater, theres plenty of other uses both professional and
personal where you dont want the data seen by the whole world, but
only by a select group;
Building plans, Infrastructure maintenance, monitoring health and
fitness, planning a wedding  (just of the top of my head). Theres even
AR application for security planning, or police investigations. Things
that most certainly shouldn't be public, and preferably on a complete
isolated server.

Then theres gaming applications. A team based game would probably need
data only visible to the side your playing with. Your "attack plan" or
whatever probably shouldn't be visible by your enemy's.
There must be hundreds of use's for AR only for select groups....you
only have to open your mind a bit :)

>"The combination of AR and social media provides an excellent tool to
>discover social media around you that is _not_ coming from the friends
>you already know. Restricting messages to the same old groups destroys
>this unique selling point of AR social media."

It does private an excellent tool. No question about that.
But the existence of email doesn't stop the internet existing :? Its
not a restriction. Not an either/or.
You simply have both.
In this case, as different layers on your field of view. Private and
public streams. Read-only and Read/Write too.

The unique saleing point of AR is in-context information.  Thats
useful in both   many<>many, group<>group and even 1<>1 forms of
communication.
Saying everything in AR has to be seen by everyone is a restriction.

Both should be possible, just as they are on the Internet.
The hope though is, that it wont end up being controlled by just a few
small companies.