Re: Social AR

On 22/07/2010 15:25, Thomas Wrobel wrote:
> I think whats being looked for is something that selectively allows
> messaging to just your friends, like Facebook only broadcasts to
> people you (in theory) have let. Twitter is still a form of mass
> broadcast really, as it exists without account/viewing restrictions.
>
> Theres quite a few systems out there (or coming out) that let you
> "glue" data to objects or areas and store them globally in the
> company's own database.  Theres certainly big applications for that
> alone, "annotating the world" combined with user-submitted content
> could very quickly get quite powerful. (provided the is a big enough
> pool of users able to contribute)
>
> But, aside from potential moves by facebook, Ive yet to see any real
> private-messaging done in AR space, and even then its restricted to
> just that company hosting the data for you.

Hey,

I fail to see the application where private/restricted messaging in AR
space is really useful ("AR" here being mobile and geolocated). Messages
in this environment are already very restricted because you need to be
in the vicinity to read them. Limiting the availability of the message
to only a few people sounds like a guarantee that the message will never
be read until the moment we're all continuously wearing AR glasses and
even then your friends have to stumble upon the message.

The combination of AR and social media provides an excellent tool to
discover social media around you that is _not_ coming from the friends
you already know. Restricting messages to the same old groups destroys
this unique selling point of AR social media.

Regards,

Jens