Re: Realtime use-case's

Hi Thomas,

I share your general position (stated in the last paragraph of your
message below).

I believe it can be paraphrased as follows: there is (in principle) be
no distinction in the data format used in a "real time" use case and one
which is not real time.

In fact, real time and non real time can (should) use precisely the same
data format and should (must) be totally independent of the architecture
of the application (e.g., data format identical when data is all local,
partly local data, all remote).

This means the same experience for the user if the bandwidth is
unlimited and the protocol is lightweight as the user experience if the
data is all local.

Does anyone believe this is a false assumption to make? What issues does
it raise?

If the above is generally considered a "fair assumption", the logical
extension of this is that there is no need to distinguish between a real
time use case and a non-real time use case.

Further on the topic of use cases.

I am unclear if the use cases need to be as specific as you describe or
if they can be more general.

In Seoul the participants of the International AR Standards meeting
described three AR use case (they are actually categories of use cases).

They have been described several times in conf calls, are depicted
visually in an output of the International AR Standards meeting and can
be summarized for completeness and quick reference as follows:

A. Guide: a system which leads the user through a process involving the
real world

B. Create: a system with which the user attaches/contributes a digital
"object" to or in the real world

C. Play: a system which supports bi-directional interaction between two
or more users in and with the real world

I will now connect the dots (as I see them) between the above use cases
and those you suggest below.

1. tracking of friends or exploration (tourism applications)

for me, these are all specific conditions of the Guide use case.

2. using AR to obtain information about a moving object which the user
can then use to make a decision

for me this is also a Guide use case which includes all the "what's
around me?" use cases

3. tracking celestial bodies

another example of "what's around me?"

4. game in/with the real world

possibly a subcase of Play use case

I think in order to move discussion forward on the topic of use cases,
we must understand what (precisely) needs to be "known" or included
about the complete use case to inform the definition of a suitably
flexible and broaddata format.

Christine

Spime Wrangler

cperey@perey.com