[pointerevents] How should PointerLock vs setPointerCapture work together?

From: Mustaq Ahmed via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 20:19:33 +0000
To: public-pointer-events@w3.org
mustaqahmed has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents:

== How should PointerLock vs setPointerCapture work together? ==
This issue covers the PointerLock part of #135. Here is the original
comment in that bug (by @mingchou):

> One element setPointerCapture and the other requestPointerLock.
Please ignore this case if it will be covered by issue#131. On Canary,
 requestPointerLock works but setPointerCapture not. On Edge, the
result is opposite.

In Chrome, pointer-capture comes after pointer-lock in the event flow
just because we chose not to worry about both together in our initial
implementation. We need to fix it for sure.

As for Edge, @NavidZ observed that it doesn't allow a
requestPointerLock() after a setPointerCapture() but a
setPointerCapture() after a requestPointerLock() doesn't work
reasonably: PointerLock overrides the effect of capturing while the
capturing target still gets got/lostpointercapture events.

What Edge does in the first case is the most reasonable solution to
me: don't allow both of these together. The PointerLock spec [seems to

suggest](https://w3c.github.io/pointerlock/#why-not-merge-with-mouse-capture-setcapture)
 these two can be active together (for the similar but non-standard
setCapture() API instead), but I don't think the text there gives a
definitive answer.

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/176 using your GitHub
account