Re: [pointerevents] Add Pen Rotation

<notifications@github.com> wrote:

> The wheel is in the HID “Barrel Pressure” field (HID Usage 0x31) -
sometimes referred to as “Tangential Pressure” (Mac OS). Painter and
Photoshop use this.

> That feels slightly out-of-scope to me, edging close to the
discussion in #26 <https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/26>
about gamepad/webusb. Thoughts?

There’s nothing vendor specific here. It’s a standard HID usage for
pointing devices. This data is wired to mouse events on Mac and
accessible in pointer events on Windows. A request has been made to
add a GUID_PACKETPROPERTY to Windows to make access more standard. It
is in use by shipping devices.

> Two more missing data elements are the Secondary Barrel Switch (HID
Usage 0x5A)

> Would that not be exposed as part of button/buttons ?

Yes, it **should** be. I just want to make sure to gets wired in.

> and Transducer Serial Number (HID Usage 0x5B)
>
> Again, that feels out-of-scope here (though perhaps, leaving it up
to implementations, it "could" be used to ensure that the pointer
relating a particular pen always gets the same pointerId ?

pointerId  isn’t persistent enough. Serial number is used to persist
brush settings (Painter) or all settings via Cloud login (Adobe). This
 is now a standard HID usage for pointing devices, and has been wired
to mouse events on the Mac. A request has been made to add a
GUID_PACKETPROPERTY to Windows to make access more standard. In the
future you can expect essentially all electrostatic styli to have a
unique serial number to enable these and other associations.

> —
<https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/25#issuecomment-193863906>.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by dfleck
Please view or discuss this issue at