From: Patrick H. Lauke [mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:00 PM
To: public-pointer-events@w3.org
Subject: "click" in the example event sequences in 11.2 Mapping for devices that do not support hover

I know that in the main "11. Compatibility Mapping with Mouse Events"
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/pointerevents/raw-file/tip/pointerEvents.html#compatibility-mapping-with-mouse-events

section we have a fairly clear note about "The relative ordering of these high-level events (click, contextmenu, focus, blur, etc.) with pointer events is undefined and varies between user agents"

But in IE10/IE11, "click" seems to always be the last event fired (after
pointerleave) following a tap on a touchscreen, while in the informative example sequence in https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/pointerevents/raw-file/tip/pointerEvents.html#mapping-for-devices-that-do-not-support-hover

we list "click" as coming after "pointerup".

As IE is currently the only browser to have PE support enabled, I wonder if the example sequence should reflect what it's doing? Or, alternatively - if we feel that "click" should logically be listed after pointerup, and consider IE's firing of click after "mouseleave" to be a UA-specific quirk - should we add a tiny note right next to it reminding the reader that the position of click may vary between UAs?

Patrick H. Lauke

www.splintered.co.uk | https://github.com/patrickhlauke http://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | http://redux.deviantart.com