Re: Last Call comments

From: Scott González <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 08:02:44 -0400
To: Konstantinov Sergey <twirl@yandex-team.ru>
Cc: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>, "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 6:13 AM, Konstantinov Sergey
<twirl@yandex-team.ru>wrote:

> Okay, I'm hyperbolizing, most probably. But, for example: how many times
> developers wrote (or copy-pasted) the code to work with XMLHttpRequest?
> Something like that:
>
> var xmlhttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
> xmlhttp.open('GET', '/xhr/test.html', true);
> xmlhttp.onreadystatechange = function() {
>   if (xmlhttp.readyState == 4) {
>      if(xmlhttp.status == 200) {
>        alert(xmlhttp.responseText);
>          }
>   }
> };
>
> I saw it many times, though every popular framework provide its own
> implementation. I think there are literally thousands of copies of this
> code on the different websites. The code snippets for pointer counting and
> pointer dispatching will be copy-pasted all over the web just like this one.

Touch Events have been around for a while now. How often do you see gesture
code copy/pasted?

> And you may note that this snippet is bad: it doesn't contain error
> handling, for example. Exactly the same thing will occur to the
> PointerEvents code snippets.
>
> The current spec doesn't cover basic PointerEvents use-cases, and that's
> why I found it unsatisfactory.

We seem to have moved past pointer capture and back to "Pointer Events are
horrible for multi-pointer interactions." For the purpose of last call,
every concern that has been brought up has been responded to. Perhaps we
should start two new threads: one to cover your concerns about what you
think is a bad API (pointer capture) and one to cover your concerns about
what you think is missing from v1.