Re: POE: question on a Use Case

From reading the use case, the implication is that it be released as open access post-embargo. Usually, for open data, this is CC zero (https://creativecommons.org/about/cc0/), so that’s the policy that should become active at that time.

I admit I haven’t come across a dataset embargo — it’s usually the other way around — articles are often embargoed while the data is released unencumbered pre-publication (this could be on a preprint server, or on a domain-specific repository), in particular for government-sponsored research initially published in a subscription-only journal. There are occasions where the data will not be released until publication, in which case it is a conditional embargo that depends on an event. I can write these up as separate use cases.

Patrick Johnston (magyarblip)
John Wiley & Sons

From: "Michael Steidl (IPTC)" <mdirector@iptc.org<mailto:mdirector@iptc.org>>
Date: Monday, May 9, 2016 at 6:37 AM
To: 'Phil Archer' <phila@w3.org<mailto:phila@w3.org>>
Cc: W3C POE WG <public-poe-wg@w3.org<mailto:public-poe-wg@w3.org>>
Subject: POE: question on a Use Case

Hi Phil,
you have posted this use case: https://www.w3.org/2016/poe/wiki/Use_Cases#POE.UC.03_Published_article_with_embargoed_dataset

I have a question regarding the raised requirement: is it required to introduce a specific new policy for the “change on a future date” or is it ok to indicate: “will change in some way”.

Please let us know.
Thanks,
Michael

Michael Steidl
Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@iptc.org<mailto:mdirector@iptc.org>]
Web: www.iptc.org<http://www.iptc.org/> - on Twitter @IPTC<http://www.twitter.com/IPTC>
Business office address:
25 Southampton Buildings, London WC2A 1AL, United Kingdom
Registered in England, company no 101096