Re: ARIA Extensions Definitional Statement

Well - I certainly regret not attending the meeting today.  I don't begin
to comprehend why it would be a good idea to have a Rec-Track document that
defined ARIA "extensions" that were all optional.  The whole reason that
draft process was written the way it was written was to say that if a
document is an extension and becomes a Recommendation then it's
non-optional components are required of all implementations.

If a user cannot count upon that, then absent an announcement mechanism
(which HTML has eschewed and I am personally NOT willing to have that fight
again) there is no way a user is going to try to use the bits of that
extension.   "What if you held a party and nobody came?"  I must be missing
something here.

I agree that there is an open question about *when* support of non-optional
portions would become required for conformance.  That's why I put in the
phrase about hand waving.  I assumed that ultimately we would come to some
agreement like "Any ARIA extension specifications that have reached
Recommendation status at the time the ARIA Core is revised and approved as
a superseding Recommendation will be considered to be a part of ARIA Core
and their non-optional components required of all ARIA conforming
implementations."  Oh well.  I guess the user agent implementors win, and
differently-abled end users lose.  Again.