RE: Experiments with ARIA Tooltips based on the last APG call

Bryan

Excellent work as always, particularly like the Douglas Adams reference.
My brief testing on Jaws and NVDA with IE/FF confirms your findings.
I even set Jaws verbosity to "beginner" and it had no effect on the tooltip
announcement, or lack thereof in IE.
I notice that you resort to using div with aria-label="tooltip" and
role="region" as a container for the actual tooltip container.
This matches with my observations that role="tooltip" is not given any
special treatment by any screen reader I have tested.
3 questions:
1. What is the desireable behavior of screen readers for containers with
role="tooltip"?
Screen readers should announce the word "tooltip" and then its content,
followed by the tooltip content or other accessible name, if provided via
aria-label or aria-labelledby?
That is my thinking at least.

2. Have you tested this on Voiceover, which has a native 7 second delay for
announcing aria-describedby content. Does the built-in delay add to that
time (I think it should, based on the spec)?
Related:
3. I am not sure exactly wat this sentence in the spec means:
"The use of a WAI-ARIA tooltip is a supplement to the normal tooltip
behavior of the user agent"
Is this referring to the title attribute, .. or what is the normal behavior
of tooltips in browsers? I see this is referenced in the meeting minutes, I
may just have to go explore. Unfortunately I missed that meeting on Monday
but will join you for next time.
-Birkir