Question regarding the use of tristate checkboxes using native checkbox controls plus aria-checked?

From: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 23:50:14 +0000
To: W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>
Hi,
This came up for me today, and I'm not sure what the proper answer for this is.

I understand that native host semantics typically trumps ARIA markup for form fields.
E.G Using readonly instead of aria-readonly, using disabled instead of aria-disabled, using checked instead of aria-checked...

Now, in the case of a standard checkbox control, the native attribute, checked, has no native tristate value since it is a boolean.

So, is it actually valid to use aria-checked='mixed' on a native checkbox control that includes the checked attribute?

E.G

<input type="checkbox" checked aria-checked="mixed" title="Control Name" />

Which, by the way, doesn't actually work in IE or FF.

Only the following does reliably:

Thanks,
Bryan